Cutting a deal on DACA

October 9, 2017

Sunday, the Trump Administration released a list of conditions that it expects Congress to include in any replacement of the DACA program. Anyone who thought that President Trump was caving to the Democrats without expecting anything in return must not have read “The Art of the Deal,” because Trump put down everything on his wish list, including border wall funding.

Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi are already squealing that they “explicitly” ruled out funding a border wall. Well, Trump’s voters explicitly ruled it in, and Democrats don’t run Congress anymore, so it’s back. Along with a lot of other things that they describe as “anathema to Dreamers,” but which most Americans probably would describe with a term the Democratic leadership constantly misuses: “common sense.”

The Administration’s demands include targeting the bill only to children of illegal immigrants brought to the US without their consent and giving them a pathway to legal status, not citizenship; funding to hire more immigration judges, attorneys and prosecutors and 10,000 more ICE agents, to clear out the backlog of cases and increase law enforcement; requiring employers to use E-verify, a simple method to prevent hiring illegal workers; and denying federal funds to “sanctuary cities” that refuse to comply with federal law.

They also seek to have unaccompanied minors caught entering the US illegally to be treated as adults, as long as they’re not the victims of human trafficking and it would be safe to return them home. And it would expand the list of "inadmissible aliens" to include gang members, those convicted of an aggravated felony, and former spouses and children of drug and human traffickers if they receive benefits from those activities (and why are they admissible now?)

Democratic leaders are already denouncing the Trump list of demands as unacceptable. And maybe it is just an opening bid for negotiations. But before it gets winnowed down, I think a lot of Americans want – and indeed, deserve – to know precisely which demands that I detailed above, many of them simply enforcing bipartisan laws that have long been on the books, that Democratic leaders think are “unacceptable.” And why.

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW.  I READ THEM!

• Judi Fey

10/10/2017 04:12 PM

Trump's ist of 70 makes complete sense, something of which Democrats and RINOs do not have. About time.

• Eric Martin

10/10/2017 04:07 PM

I am a proud American and U.S. military veteran of service in Iraq and Afghanistan. I reside now in my home state of Massachusetts and I am attending a community college, amongst many "dreamers." I am a conservative and supporter of President Trump. I and other conservatives that attend my school do so in an atmosphere where liberal and socialist views are voiced openly, often with applause. However, on the other hand a conservative at the school must keep any opposing views silent or at a whisper, for he/she risks being berated by insults, such as being called a racist. Such an unwelcoming environment for conservatives of course exist throughout this state and not just in the colleges.
    I believe undocumented immigrant students and their advocates are doing themselves a huge disservice by blindly following Democrats and not having constructive conversations with Republicans. Dems are fronting this issue under the guise of “victimization,” as they do with many issues, while conservatives want a secure border as first priority and meanwhile propose bipartisan conversation to find common sense and long term solutions on immigration.
    DACA as it stands and by design is a temporary fix, a band-aid if you will. Leading the battle, President Trump is currently offering to address the DACA issue by proposing bipartisan talks in hopes of a path towards a real solution and real legislation. In exchange he is asking for help to enforce current law with funding for border security. The Dems fight against increased border security and enforcement of current immigration laws, this not because they have real compassion for undocumented immigrants, but they primarily contest the enforcement because it would threaten a large voter base they are highly dependent on. Democrats since the 1960’s have thrived on getting votes from groups that are made to feel they are being victimized or discriminated upon.
    I'm saddened how these immigrant students are being deceived and exploited by the Democrats nationwide. I have compassion and sympathy for these youngsters who are in a tough place currently through no fault of their own. I support a path to citizenship for them, but believe measures must be made to avoid chain migration and wide spread amnesty. I stand with the President. Securing our borders and enforcing the immigration laws that are already in place need to come before any further discussion on immigration reform with Democrats. The more the Dems fight President Trump when he proposes reasonable solutions on major issues of concern to Americans, the more their party will struggle in future elections. The 2016 Election bled RED! Get on board Dems or risk perishing by your own undoing!

Thank you Governor for keeping us informed! You're a true patriot and great American. Congrats on the new show as well. I love it!

• Mary Pfadenhauer

10/10/2017 04:05 PM

I read them! AND support our president.

• Eric Martin

10/10/2017 03:59 PM

• Mary Blood

10/10/2017 03:58 PM

My husband and I were stationed in a foreign country years ago where I gave birth to our second daughter. Although she was born in a foreign country and has a foreign birth certificate, she is an American citizen because we are. I believe the same should hold true for Mexican babies born here. They are still Mexican citizens. The way I understand my daughter's situation is that she can claim dual nationality (not dual citizenship), but if she does that she is liable to uphold the laws of both countries.

Cutting a deal on DACA

October 9, 2017

PLEASE LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW.  I READ THEM!

• Judi Fey

10/10/2017 04:12 PM

• Eric Martin

10/10/2017 04:07 PM

• Mary Pfadenhauer

10/10/2017 04:05 PM

I read them! AND support our president.

• Eric Martin