Go back to where you came from

July 14, 2017

So powerful was President Trump’s excellent speech in Poland last week defending Western civilization and American values that leftists are still soaking their Che Guevara T-shirts with mouth foam over it. It’s the usual litany of SJW clichés: promoting American exceptionalism makes him a Nazi, fascist, racist, classist, xenophobe, homophobe, imperialist, you name it. They have been indoctrinated by their teachers, professors and the media with the religion of multiculturalism, the belief that all other cultures are not just equal to ours but superior, and that America is to blame for all the problems of the world (well, America and capitalism – they like to use their iPads to tell people where to drive their cars to protest capitalism...and CO2 emissions).

Well, if you are one of the “Blame America First” group -- if you really think that other cultures are superior to ours, and that people who oppose, say, Sharia law or immigrants who refuse to assimilate are just bigots and haters -- then I have a modest proposal for you:

Go back to where you came from.

Now, before you rush to your iPhone to send me angry, anti-capitalist Twitter tweets, let me make clear what I mean. I’m not saying “love it or leave it” or move out of America permanently, although if you really hate it that much, there are planes and ships leaving all the time. No, what I’m suggesting is that for your next vacation, why not spend some time in whatever country your ancestors called home before they came to America? Except for Native Americans, we’re all immigrants. So if you put your personal identity group ahead of your American identity – if you think that American culture is evil and inferior to the cultures that your ancestors used to be part of – then why not spend a week or two reconnecting with your roots? And I don’t mean in a five-star resort, but in the same places your ancestors lived when they decided it was worth risking their lives to get the heck out and come to America.

Take a vacation from America’s horrific culture of sexism, racism, homophobia and oppression. If you’re a woman, try going for a nice drive in Saudi Arabia. Make a derisive joke about God being a “flying spaghetti monster” in Iran. Ask someone in Cameroon or Uganda to direct you to the nearest gay bar. Call the national leader filthy names in front of a TV camera in China, Cuba, Russia, Sudan, North Korea, or various African nations run by warlords. Even in the UK, try getting your own child life-saving medical treatments if government health bureaucrats disapprove.

If you do take that vacation back to the wonderful culture your ancestors fled to America to escape, and you manage to make it back alive, I have a feeling you’ll have developed a newfound respect for Western culture and values. No, of course America isn’t perfect, but compared to the rest of the world, it’s pretty darn close. That's because America isn’t based on ethnicity, tribalism, ancient geographical borders or the divine right of kings; it’s based on a written set of principles and human rights, like freedom of speech and religion, property rights, individual merit and equality under the law. That’s why it’s such a dynamic and cutting-edge nation: because its people had the guts and ambition to look at what was around them and say, “There’s got to be someplace better than this, and I’m going to find it or die trying.” Americans are those people and their descendants.

There’s nothing wrong with being proud of the American values the Founders bequeathed to us. You should be. It doesn’t mean you have to abandon your roots, you should just think of yourself as an American first. Just like you don’t have to stop loving your mom just because you moved away from her and now you put your wife first.

If you really want to honor your ancestors, then try to understand why they left their native lands to come here. It wasn’t so that someday, their children’s children’s children could be so spoiled that they fail to appreciate the tremendous blessing their immigrant ancestors gave them by becoming US citizens and assimilating into American culture.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW. I READ THEM!

• Kenny Lee

07/17/2017 12:30 PM

Huck, I love your posts, and I agree with this one. I get the point you're making. But my ancestors came from Norway, and other than high taxes and cold winters, I don't think I'd find much to hate there! Cheers!

• Amelia Little

07/17/2017 11:36 AM

It used to be that people immigrated to America because life is better here. Better able to get jobs, better chance at getting an education, etc. While I am sure there are many people who still come for those reasons, there are others who come here for things like government handouts (a direct quote is "living in the US on welfare is better than working in my country") and efforts to change the world. I truely do not understand the people who champion those who want to impose sharia law on the US. It is one thing to want to honor you own culture, but not to the extent that goes against the laws of the US. And, feminists and LGBT people who champion those whose beliefs are to keep women at home, heavily veiled in dress, and unable to go anywhere unaccompanied by a male relative, and gay/lesbians who would be killed by these people in their countries. No matter what country one moves to, assimilation to the countries laws (at the least) used to be the norm. Evidently not so much now as evidenced by the feminist "leader" of the womens march against Trump says something all too many feel these days--in effect that they did not come to the US to assimilate to anything. It seems they would rather attempt to force the US and whatever country they go to, to assimilate to THEIR culture. In full. Pretty much expecting the country to forego all culture and law to see it their way. And, if their way is so great, why did they not stay there? Oh, yeah, no woman in their countries would be allowed to get up for any speech, let alone a vitriolic speech against the cultures/laws of that nation.

• JanC

07/17/2017 11:29 AM

Totally agree with your article! I do have a couple comments. There is only one correction I would make - the Native American was once an immigrant here, too, coming from the Middle East. And my other thought while reading, is that this same mind set, i.e. that America and Capitalism are evil ideas and there is no such thing as American exceptionalism is now also invading certain segments of the American church. The agenda is almost complete. Thanks for fighting the battle.

• Thomas R. Bender III

07/17/2017 11:04 AM

I couldn't agree more Mike! Think of the tremendous risks people have taken and continue to take to come to the United States. Would anyone save all of their money, leave their families and board a crowded ship to take a long journey across a vast ocean, if it was such a wonderful and happy life where they were living? I'm sure a decision to do something like this was very difficult.
    Imagine leaving everyone and everything you know for a chance. Just a chance mind you, at a better life. We are very fortunate to live in the country we live in and have the freedoms and opportunities we have. I know many people that constantly criticize republicans and the current administration in extremely nasty and hateful ways. If this were done in many other countries, you would be in jail or even worse. Like you, I would encourage all Americans to look outside our country and do an honest to goodness comparison. I think they will find at the end of the day that we are head and shoulders above many other countries in most aspects. My grandfather once told me "Never give someone anything for free". The American dream is alive and always will be, as long as we continue to remind ourselves that the only things that deserve are what we earn on our own and are not give to us by the government. We are not entitled to anything! The only things we truly deserve are the rights to life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness. God Bless America and keep up the good work Mike!

• Trudy Tedder

07/17/2017 11:04 AM

Very well said. Both sets of my grandparents were immigrants. They learned English and assimilated. Hard workers. America has problems but it is still the best country on this planet.

Go back to where you came from

July 14, 2017

Go back to where you came from.

LEAVE ME A COMMENT BELOW. I READ THEM!

• Kenny Lee